eBooks and Audiobooks free from the library.
Browse the history of Waimakariri District
Originally, the Eyreton area was managed by the Eyreton Road Board.
In 1864, the Provincial Government passed 'The Roads Districts Ordinance No. 1' which gave the Road Boards responsibility concerning roads, drainage and development, as well the power to levy rates to fund these activities.
This system continued until the 1900s, when a series of Acts was passed to overhaul local government. ‘The Ashley Subdivision, and the Waimakariri-Ashley Water Supply Board Act, 1911’ abolished the seven Road Boards and created five Counties, these being Ashley, Eyre, Kowai, Oxford and Rangiora.
On 23 April 1912, the Eyre County Council was elected and came into being. Those first elected were Richard Evans, Richard Dixon, James Wright, C Morgan (Eyreton Riding) and F G and H J Horrell (West Eyreton Riding). Its headquarters were in the former Eyreton Road Board Office. The clerk, treasurer and surveyor of the former Road Board since 1873, Robert Wright, continued on in this position as engineer-clerk with the new County Council until 1916, completing 43 years services for the District.
On 1 April 1989 the Eyre County Council merged with the Rangiora District Council.
Hawkins, D N - Beyond the Waimakariri : a regional history. Christchurch : Whitcombe and Tombs, 1957.
Eyre County Council minutes, Waimakariri District Council archives.