eBooks and Audiobooks free from the library.
Browse the history of Waimakariri District
The Ashley County Council came into existence on 4 April 1912. It replaced the Ashley Road Board following the abolition of the seven road districts in North Canterbury by ‘The Ashley Subdivision, and the Waimakariri-Ashley Water-supply Board Act, 1911’. The Act created the counties of Ashley, Eyre, Kowai, Oxford and Rangiora in their place.
The first elected members were William MacIntosh, John Hiatt, Edwin Philpott, Isaac Croft (all Loburn-Whiterock riding), Richard Parish, John O’Halloran and Hugh Ensor (Mount Thomas Riding). The first meeting was held in the old Road Board office at Loburn South on 10 April 1912. William MacIntosh was elected the first chairman.
In 1968, the Ashley County Council merged with the neighbouring Kowai County, but it was still known as the Ashley County Council. The headquarters for the Council moved to the old Kowai County office in Balcairn. In 1977 the Waipara County Council joined with the Ashley County Council to become the Hurunui County Council, with the headquarters situated at Amberley. This situation prevailed until the 1989 local body amalgamations, when the Hurunui, Amuri and Cheviot County Councils joined to become the current Hurunui District Council. The majority of the Ashley County Council records were destroyed in a fire on 10 July 1934.
Hawkins, D N - Beyond the Waimakariri : a regional history. Christchurch : Whitcombe and Tombs, 1957.
Lovell-Smith, Margaret - Hurunui heritage : the development of a district 1950-2000. Hurunui District Council, 2000.
Sweely, G C - An architectural history of the early Ashley County. 1988.