Rangiora Museum photos

  • Prime Minister visits Rangiora

    Prime Minister visits Rangiora, 1913

    Prime Minister, William Massey visited Rangiora twice in 1913 to show his appreciation for the town's loyal support in the election the previous year. The Royal Tea Rooms site is now a menswear shop, 156 High Street.
  • Presbyterian Sunday School picnic

    Presbyterian Sunday School picnic

    Presbyterian Sunday School children on the way to a picnic at Waikuku Beach. Boys and girls travelled in separate wagons. The Union Bank of Australia building in the background is the site of the present day ANZ Bank.
  • High Street Rangiora

    High Street Rangiora

    Snow scene looking east on High Street. The Red Lion Hotel on the right is still in business. The three-storey building has been restored and is now a bar. The building with the large advertising sign was Parrott's grocery, and is now Rangiora Eye Care, 42 High Street.
  • Holmwood


    `Holmwood" 114 King Street, Rangiora, (the present site of the Holmwood Home and Hospital), was built for William Foster, the son of the owner of the Red Lion Hotel, who names it `Flaxby' after a family property in Yorkshire. The property was renamed by George Holmes who bought it in 1910. The concrete house was demolished in 1978 to make way for the Rest Home.
  • Welcome home for Boer War soldiers

    Welcome home for Boer War soldiers

    Escorted by the North Canterbury Mounted Rifles Battalion, the returning soldiers marched along High Street. Two Rangiora men, Sergeant H.R. Rule, and Trooper J.W. Sansom lost their lives. Their names are inscribed on the sundial in Victoria Park.
  • Rangiora Volunteer Fire Brigade

    Rangiora Volunteer Fire Brigade

    Brigade members pictured in Percival Street outside the Council Chambers and the Brigade headquarters. Victoria Park is to the south. The site is now occupied by the Rangiora Library and car park. The fire bell is in a replica tower outside the Fire Station opposite.
  • Henry Blackett's store

    Henry Blackett's store

    Blackett's general store opened in the late 1850s. The store included the Post Office with Blackett Post Master from 1865 to 1873. Henry Blackett was elected the first Mayor of Rangiora in 1878, and much Council business was discussed over his counter.
  • John Wheeler, Butcher

    John Wheeler, Butcher

    John Wheeler's Butchery, opened in the late 1860s was among a numbers of businesses at the west end of the town.
  • Rangiora Railway Station

    Rangiora Railway Station

    The first Rangiora Station was a junction station, built across the angle formed by the main track and the Oxford branch line. Rangiora was also a refreshment stop. The refreshment room opened in 1883 and closed in the 1930s.
  • North Canterbury Bicycling Club

    North Canterbury Bicycling Club

    The North Canterbury Bicycling Club was formed in 1884. In 1885 the club constructed a banked track at the Recreation Ground. The ground is now Mainpower Oval and is used mainly for cricket and soccer. The cycle track has been removed, but the bank encircling the ground has been grassed to provide a pleasant area for spectators.