Kowai Archives photos

  • Sefton Dairy Factory truck

    Sefton Dairy Factory truck

    The Sefton Mutual Dairy Produce Association, (later the Sefton Dairy Company), was formed in 1888 and its factory opened later that year. In 1904 a much larger factory of brick construction was opened. After several changes of ownership the factory closed in 1936.
  • Amberley Centennial Parade 1950

    Amberley Centennial Parade 1950

    Most towns in Canterbury celebrated the arrival of the First Four Ships at Lyttelton in December 1850. This photograph shows part of Amberley's parade.
  • Amberley Sale Yards

    Amberley Sale Yards

    Amberley Sale Yards in Carters Road. In the background across the road is the Crown Hotel, C McNaught saddler, NZ Farmers and Dalgetys. The main use of the yard was for the annual Ewe Fair held in February each year. The last fair was in 1998.
  • Amberley Town Hall

    Amberley Town Hall

    Amberley Town Hall was the venue for dances and film screenings. A portion was leased for a restaurant in the early 1990s before the hall was demolished in 1996 because it was an earthquake risk. Events are now held in the sports pavilion at the Amberley Domain.
  • St Simon and St Jude Anglican Church

    St Simon and St Jude Anglican Church

    This B W Mountfort designed church at Ashley Bank opened in 1871-72, as part of the Fernside Parish. Regular services were held until 1966.
  • St Simon and St Jude Church, Ashley

    St Simon and St Jude Church, Ashley

    In 1973 a group of local residents stopped the church being demolished after services had ceased, and it was not considered to have historic or architectural value. However, it was discovered to be a B.W. Mountfort designed church. The residents bought and restored it. An annual fete is held to provide funds for its upkeep. Non-denominational services, weddings and baptisms are held there.
  • Douglas Road, Amberley

    Douglas Road, Amberley

    George Douglas of Broomfield (1825-1873) took up Run 71 in 1853. Mount Grey in the background. There is a gas lamp on the corner. The building on the right is the National Mortgage Agency store.
  • Baker's van

    Baker's van

    An early bakehouse was operated by a Mr Lewis and Mr Marsh. It was later replaced by a brick one under Mr A Johnstone in 1907. The van is a Ford T.
  • Holy Innocent's Anglican Church

    Holy Innocent's Anglican Church

    Holy Innocent's Anglican church was built in 1877 and so named in memory of two children who were drowned crossing the Kowai River. It was destroyed in a hurricane in 1890 and rebuilt in 1891.
  • Sefton School and Rink Hall

    Sefton School and Rink Hall

    Sefton School first opened in 1884. The building in the photograph was opened in 1955. The Rink Hall was built by John Wilson in the late 1880's and had a varied career. First as a skating rink, later as a grain store, and was going to be removed, but some residents bought it for use as a public hall when it came into public ownership. It served the district until 1966 when it was demolished to make way for the present Public Hall. Unique features of the old hall were its four central posts supporting the roof, and later its undulating floor but the latter did not affect its magnificent surface.
  • Kowai County Council office

    Kowai County Council office

    Situated on Balcairn Amberley Road. The building was built as a Peace Memorial following World War I, and housed the Kowai County Council office. Kowai County came into existence in 1912, merged with Ashley in 1968 to become the Ashley County, and in 1977 merged with Waipara County to become Hurunui County when the headquarters were moved to Amberley. Kowai Archives now occupy the building. Marble War Memorial plaques for World Wars I and II are in the foyer. Kowai Archives holdings include historical and genealogical records for businesses and people between the Ashley and Waipara Rivers.
  • Amberley Post Office and Court House

    Amberley Post Office and Court House

    This Post Office was opened in 1911 on the corner of Douglas and Station Roads. The clock tower was added after local residents subscribed sixty pounds for its erection. It was later removed when subsequent alterations were made to increase working space. Amberley had a courthouse from about 1870. The building had previously been the Leithfield P.O. It was moved to Markham Street in 1913. After the Post Office closed in the 1980s the building has been used for commercial puposes with a replica courthouse added.
  • Kowai County Council truck

    Kowai County Council truck

    Kowai County Council International truck.
  • Mower, 1923

    Mower, 1923

    International Harvester No. 7 Mower. Photographer: Norman Hadler.
  • Leithfield Public Library

    Leithfield Public Library

    Built in 1860 by Loan and Merchantile Agency, and purchased by the Leithfield Public Library in 1874. Funds were from subscriptions and grants from the Canterbury Provincial Government. This building was removed in 1953 and replaced by the present library built by voluntary labour in 1954. It is now an Incorporated Society owned by the community of Leithfield.
  • Amberley Police Station

    Amberley Police Station

    In 1890 the local constable was Thomas Nestor. His territory extended from Sefton to Cheviot. In 1893 Maurice Roach took over the post until he retired in 1907. This station was in Markham Street and was demolished to make way for the telephone exchange.
  • Pemberton Road, Sefton c. 1918-1919

    Pemberton Road, Sefton c. 1918-1919

    Pemberton Road was named after Charles Ffrench Pemberton (1835-1905). In 1859 he came to North Canterbury as district surveyor based first in Rangiora and then in Sefton where he bought a small farm, and built `Sefton House.' Charles surveyed the Borough of Rangiora, and laid out the townships of Oxford, Leithfield, Amberley, and Sefton. The building in the distance is a grain store built by William Vaughan. It survived until the big blow of 1975.
  • Amberley Police Station Jail

    Amberley Police Station Jail

    The tiny wooden, two-celled Amberley Jail could hold dangerous prisoners, but the cells were mostly used for drunks. The constable's wife provided meals, but there was no heating.
  • Robey 8 hp traction engine

    Robey 8 hp traction engine

    Traction engines towing threshing mills were familiar sights in the Kowai District. Photographer: Norman Hadler.
  • Roman Catholic Church, Amberley

    Roman Catholic Church, Amberley

    Originally built for Sir Frederick Weld at Brackenfield, this church was moved to the Main Road in Amberley in 1955.
  • Sefton gas light 1918

    Sefton gas light 1918

    This light was at the corner of Railway Road and Upper Sefton Road across from the Railway Station. A person lit the lamp each night.
  • Sefton Railway Station and Post Office

    Sefton Railway Station and Post Office

    The railway reached Sefton in 1875 and the Post Office opened in the Station in 1876. In 1879 the Post Office was moved to a store until 1894 when it moved back to the Station. The Railway Station closed in 1952. The building remained a Post Office until 1963 when it moved across the road to a new building with a Telephone Exchange.
  • Sefton Railway Station

    Sefton Railway Station

    The railway reached Sefton in 1875, and the officered station closed in 1952. Of interest is the advertising sign - that of DCL whiskey. The DCL shield was a trophy played for in the Christchurch Rugby competitions.
  • Sefton School 1955

    Sefton School 1955

    Sefton School opened in 1884.
  • Sefton Supply Stores

    Sefton Supply Stores

    Until 1977, Sefton Supply Stores was the main shop for the district. Its beginnings date from 1870 when its founder William Vaughan shifted from the flood ravaged Saltwater Creek area. Delivery carts and vans were an important part of the service before the era of private cars after World War II.
  • Stationary hay baler

    Stationary hay baler

    Cut hay was carted to a stack and forked into the baler.
  • Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Passion

    Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Passion

    This church was built at Brackenfield Estate near Balcairn for Sir Frederick Weld between 1864-66. Built of kauri unloaded at Saltwater Creek and hauled to the site by James Ashworth, Carrier. The church was moved to its present site in Main Road Amberley in 1955.
  • Tin mill

    Tin mill

    1930s Case tin mill. Tin mills came after the big wooden threshing mills and before the modern type of harvester.
  • Unveiling Boer War Memorial

    Unveiling Boer War Memorial

    Many young farm workers from the area with their horses, volunteered for service in South Africa 1899-1902. Herbert Owen Turner is the only local soldier named. The memorial is at the junction of Douglas and Markham Streets, Amberley.
  • Traction engine and threshing mill

    Traction engine and threshing mill

    Traction engines and threshing mills were a common site in the district in the early days. This photograph was taken at a traction engine rally, demonstrating the old ways of harvesting the grain.