Preschoolers' Events at Waimakariri District Libraries
Storytimes and Babytimes encourage learning through a love of reading with stories, rhymes, music and movement. Storytimes and Babytimes sessions run during school terms - 2013 dates: first term 11 February to 19 April, second term 6 May to 12 July, third term 29 July to 27 September, fourth term 14 October to 6 December.
Come along to Storytimes for preschoolers at 10 - 10.30 am at the Waimakariri District Libraries. Storytimes sessions run all year except for the school holidays.
Oxford Library: Mondays 10 am
Rangiora Library: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 am
Listening to stories is fun, develops children’s love of books and listening skills, and is a chance for parents to meet.
See the photos from our Christmas Storytimes on Flickr
Babytimes at Waimakariri District Libraries
Babytimes is designed for babies aged 0-24 months with interactive songs, rhymes, poems and stories. Lots of fun for babies and caregivers.
Rangiora Library: Mondays 10.30 am - 11 am approx.
Kaiapoi Library: Fridays 10.30 am
Can't get along to Babytimes? Try some of our favourite rhymes and songs at home.
How to have a happy Storytimes/Babytimes
Storytimes/Babytimes is a time for you and child to enjoy. We suggest the following to ensure everyone has a great time:
- Arrive a few minutes before Storytimes/Babytimes begins, to settle yourself and your child.
- Sit with your child and share the stories, songs and rhymes.
- Let your child's mood lead your session. If your child becomes restless, take a little walk; if they're hungry feel free to feed them. Ten minutes may be all a baby is interested in - you can try for longer next time!
- Please try to avoid chatting with other parents during the session as this is distracting to both the session leader and others participating.
- Leave some time to select library materials at the end of Storytimes/Babytimes.
And most of all - make sure you HAVE FUN!