eBooks and eReaders
Waimakariri District Libraries has partnered with New Zealand company Wheelers Books to give you 24-hour a day access to a selection of eBook titles. You can read eBooks on your own computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet or dedicated eReader device. The collection largely comprises Adult Fiction titles at this stage.
You can borrow an eBook for two weeks. There are no late fees, as eBooks automatically expire and are returned after the loan period. You can also choose to return it early.
To see what eBooks are currently available go to our Wheelers eBook website. Here you will be able to check out and download eBooks in ePub and PDF formats. You can also now view our list of eBooks in our library catalogue.
All you need to start borrowing ebooks
- A library card and PIN
- Internet access (once the eBook is downloaded you can read offline anywhere)
- A computer or compatible device to read an eBook on (with an application that allows you to read Digital Rights Management (DRM) protected eBooks)
- An Adobe ID (this allows you to transfer DRM protected eBooks onto up to six different devices authorised with the same Adobe ID).
Some Compatible Devices
- Desktop or laptop - you will need Adobe Digital Editions
- iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch - we recommend Bluefire Reader
- Kobo eReader - you will need Adobe Digital Editions
- Sony eReader (with wifi) will be set up and ready to use. If you don't have wifi enabled you will need Reader Library Software
- MiGear eReader comes set up for reading eBooks
- If you have an Android device we recommend Bluefire Reader.
Note: eBooks available through Wheelers are not currently compatible with Kindle eReaders.
We have drop-in sessions at the Rangiora Library every Tuesday and Thursday from 11 am until noon if you want help with using your eReader or downloading library eBooks.
More information about eBooks and eReaders
Note: At present there is no facility for placing a hold on a title that is already out to another borrower but this feature is coming soon.
The library subscribes to TumbleBooks - an interactive eBook site with a collection of animated, talking picture books. You will need to enter a username and password to login - Username = wdl / Password = nzl.