FREE COMPUTER AND WIFI ACCESS
The Waimakariri District Libraries provide free computing and internet access via the Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa (APNK).
APNK desktop PCs are available for customer use and are installed with a range of software: Microsoft Word, Open Office, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Skype, Adobe Acrobat Reader and other programs. Each APNK PC has a DVD and CD drive, USB ports, memory card slots, a webcam and headset.
Free WiFi access is also available at all branches 24/7. The free wifi hotspots cover Rangiora, Kaiapoi and Oxford libraries and also extend to nearby car parks and seating areas.
Rangiora Library has six computers available for 30 minute bookings and two computers available for 15 minute bookings; Kaiapoi Library has one computer available for 30 minute bookings and one computer available for 15 minute bookings; Oxford Library has two computers.
Bookings are advised - come into a library to book the next available computer.
Black and white A4 printing is available from PCs or a USB memory stick at a cost of 20¢ per sheet.
When you are using library computers you should not:
- attempt to violate our computer system security
- do anything illegal, infringe copyright or view offensive material
- disturb other people's use of the library.
Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa reserves the right to prevent access to objectionable material. Read APNK's terms and conditions. Customers breaching these terms and conditions may be banned from using library computers.
We offer a limited delivery service for our members who are housebound through illness or injury. For further information contact Jeanette or Irene at Rangiora Library, (03) 311 8901.
Services to Schools
We welcome visits from classes to the library. Please contact us beforehand so we can arrange a visit that suits everyone. Please include your name, email and school details.
Library staff are also happy to come to your school. For younger children this may be to read stories or talk about the library. For older children we can also look at resources available from the library website as part of an enquiry learning programme.
- Photocopiers (black and white photocopying only at Kaiapoi)
- Fax service (not currently available in Kaiapoi) - we will fax documents for you nationally or internationally. This service costs $2.00 for the first page and $0.50 per subsequent page.
- Laminator (not currently available in Kaiapoi)
- Print enlarging reader (Rangiora only) - bring in any plans or documents that you need to see in more detail
- A3 Flat-bed scanner (Rangiora only) - scan to one of our APN computers, or to your USB stick
- A wheelchair is available for use in the Rangiora Library - ask at the desk
- Electoral rolls - full sets of electoral rolls for New Zealand are held at Rangiora Library. Kaiapoi and Oxford Libraries have rolls for the local areas.
- Waimakariri District Burial Records CD is available at Rangiora and Oxford Libraries (not currently available at Kaiapoi). This covers 17,260 entries from public and private cemeteries in the District, including headstone transcriptions.
- Transcripts for headstone inscriptions 1910-1950 are held on microfiche at the Rangiora Library.
- Cemeteries administered by the Waimakariri District Council can be searched on the Council's Search Cemeteries Database.
Births, Deaths and Marriages Records
Rangiora Library has copies of the District Keys to the New Zealand Registration Indexes for births and deaths. The following microfiche are available at Rangiora Library:
- Births 1840-1950
- Marriages 1840-1950
- Deaths 1848-1950
Book at the desk if you would like to use the microfiche reader.