Joining the Library
Membership is free for all ratepayers and residents of the Waimakariri District, for anyone attending an educational facility in the district, and for any child aged under five. Anyone outside the district pays a subscription.
You can join at any library. Joining is as easy as 1-2-3:
1. Fill in an application
2. Show us some identification (drivers licence, birth certificate etc.)
3. Provide proof of address (needs to be less than a month old).
Forms are available at the library or may be downloaded here. Bring the completed form to the library along with your identification and proof of address. Download the Library Membership form now.
Note: we will also need an alternative contact and anyone under 18 needs to be signed up by a parent or legal guardian. We do not offer corporate membership.
- You need your card to borrow items
- You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card
- You need to contact us if your card is lost or stolen
- You need to update your contact details if they should change - including any postal or Rural Delivery code changes
- Your card will expire every six months and you will need to renew it to continue to have access to all services. To renew it just make contact with us so we can check your details.
Get Information by Email
If you let us know your email address you can:
- receive hold notices quickly
- avoid overdue fees - we will send you an email reminder three days before your books are due back
- get information about what's happening at the library - when we send you an email reminder it will have news on things that are going on at the library.
Get a PIN on Your Card
When you join up you can select a PIN for your library card. With your library barcode and PIN you can:
- access our eBook collection
- keep track of your account - check how many items you have borrowed and when they are due back
- renew your books online
- reserve a book
- read the latest New Zealand and world newspapers using PressDisplay
- read full-text articles from our catalogue online
- have access to our subscription databases from the comfort of your home.
If you haven't already selected a PIN for your card, phone or email the library and we can set one up for you. You can change your PIN at any time by going to My Account.
Out of District Borrowers
There are two options for Out of District borrowers:
- $61.30 for a six month subscription (same conditions as above)
- $4.10 for a per item card (Note: this option incurs a $4.10 charge per item plus any relevant item charges)